Title and Description
Free Leadership Games: Pass the Objects is an icebreaking game where objects have to be passed down a line of people holding spoons with their mouth! It is a game of communication, teamwork and strategy that will be sure to bring out lots of energy and laughter from the participants.
2 groups of participants, preferably 6-8 per group
- Plastic Table Spoons, one for each participant
- 10 x Rubber bands
- 10 x Marbles
- 10 x Ping Pong Balls (Table Tennis Balls)
About 10-15 minutes
- Each group is to line up in a straight line and use their mouths to hold the plastic spoons given to them.
- The objective of the game is to pass objects from the first person in the line to the last person, and at the end of 5 minutes, the group that received the most points will win the game.
- At the start, the first person in each group will be given 5 rubber bands, 5 marbles and 5 ping pong balls which the person will hold in his/her hands.
- Before the game starts, each group is given 2 minutes to strategize on how best to get the most points. They can choose whichever order or item they want to transport first.
- When the time starts, the first person must place an object on his/her spoon and THEN use the spoon to pass the object to the next person’s spoon. Remember, it’s Spoon to Spoon. No Hands are allowed!
- If the object is dropped on the floor or hands were used, then the object must be returned to the first person to start all over again!
- At any time, only one object should be transported.
- This will give time for the participants to encourage one another as the objects are bring passed.
- At the end of 5 minutes, the objects that have successfully crossed to the last person will be counted and scores are tabulated. The group with the highest score wins.
- The scoring system is as follows:
- Each rubber band = 1 point
- Each marble = 2 points
- Each ping pong ball = 3 points
- Who took the initiative to strategize immediately when the group was huddling?
- Did everything go according to what was strategized, or were plans being changed on the ground?
- How many of you took the time to encourage your team mates as they were passing the object from spoon to spoon?
- In high stress competitive situations, we often see leaders emerging; those that immediately take the lead in such a situation and those that take a step back and wait for someone to lead. Of course, if there were two such vocal leaders, there would be a little disarray.
- Also, during the course of the game, you will see the encouragers come out… they will start cheering their team mates on during the game rather than just to stand there and wait for their turn. These are great team players who take ownership of the team’s success.
- Also, plans are often changed on the ground. The saying goes, it’s essential to plan before a project is executed, but don’t expect anything on the ground to go according to plan. How fast a team adapts to changes shows the versatility of the team and increases the likelihood of success.
List of Leadership Icebreakers
Make a Shape
This game Make a Shape is a game about communication between individuals using different kinds of communication modes all the way from speech to gestures.
Hosts and Guests
Hosts and Guests is a game about taking the initiative. It tests individuals in their ability to take lead in any relationship in a casual or business setting.
Alphabetic Introductions is a simple game you can play for strangers in a room to get acquainted with one another.
Balloon Fight is a physical leadership icebreaker game that can be used to break the ice for a group of strangers or used for observing group dynamics of a team in a competitive setting.
Blow Wind, Blow!
“Blow Wind, Blow!” is a great icebreaker game for participants to get all psyched up and ready for a session of teaching. It helps build the atmosphere of a session and fosters bonding through fun.
Master Architects demonstrate the importance of planning, teamwork, problem solving and it is a great exercise to observe any team’s group dynamics.
Newspaper Hop is a game of teamwork to explain the importance of planning, collaboration and communication in the workplace.
Truth or Lie
Truth or lie is another simple icebreaker that you can play for the participants to get to know each other better with ‘wow’ facts about themselves.
Who am I?
Who Am I is a simple icebreaker that you can play to get the participants to do quick self-introductions with each other. It’s used in groups where participants are generally strangers.
Word scramble’s purpose is to demonstrate the importance of cooperation in the team, and is useful for you to observe you team’s group dynamics as they work together in to solve a problem.
Whacko! is a classic team building game that helps new strangers to get to know each other’s names and also to have a lot of fun at the same time.
Charades is a classic game for participants of all ages, whether you’re 5 or 50, it’s a fun filled game that can engage the players fully and bring them closer together through lots of acting and drama fun!
Money Machine is a interactive group game that requires a lot of moving around with lots of shouts and laughter that will help your team bond or help your participants ice break!
Cat and Mouse
Cat and Mouse is a fast-paced, exciting team bonding game that will bring your participants closer together through lots of laughter, screams and protests as the ‘Cat’ chases the ‘Mouse’!
River Crossing is a competitive fast-paced game of cooperation that requires teamwork, coordination and speed. It is a great leadership icebreaker that will help to cultivate the team dynamics within a group.
Pull the Tail!
Pull the Tail is a free for all frenzy that brings down a lot of chaos, fun and laughter in the crowd! It’s a great physical team bonding exercise that will bring your participants closer together.
Indian Poker is a team building game for new friends to know each other or just for old friends to have a good time together. It is a simple, easy-to-understand game for everyone to have a good time together.
MORE LEADERSHIP ICEBREAKERS
People Bingo is a game that can fosters communication and great for getting a group of new friends to know each other deeper after going through the game.
Name Grid is a game where it fosters communication between the groups in a quick reaction and fast thinking game. This game will take only a short time but will bring out excitement and passion as the participants compete in a fast paced word game.
Line Up is an icebreaking game where everyone has to communicate without speaking and line up in a straight line according to a pre-determined characteristic. It is game that will illustrate the power of communication and at the same time, have a group of new friends have a lot of fun together.
Pass the Objects
Pass the Objects is an icebreaking game where objects have to be passed down a line of people holding spoons with their mouth! It is a game of communication, teamwork and strategy that will be sure to bring out lots of energy and laughter from the participants.
Entangle is an icebreaker where participants’ hands are all entangled up in the center and they have to communicate in an attempt to disentangle themselves.
Toilet Paper Game
Toilet Paper Game is an icebreaking game where participants have to introduce themselves in an innovative way: the more toilet paper they choose to tear off, the more they have to share about themselves.
Words from Strings
Word from Strings is a game that fosters communication, coordination and teamwork within the group to complete the task. Participants have to cooperate by controlling a marker with their strings to write a full word.
Blindfold Maze is a team icebreaker where all participants will be blindfolded and they have to get through an obstacle course with only instructions from one leader. It is a game of communication and trust that will also ensure your participants have a great time together.
Human Scissors Paper Stone
Human Scissors Paper Stone is a fun-filled action packed game where two groups will have to strategize, communicate, and act in order to outsmart their opponents. There is quite a bit of physical activity like making funny actions, chasing your opponents and getting chased by them.
Ping Pong Knockout
Ping Pong Knockout is a fun icebreaker that will guarantee lots of laughter as a few unlucky participants will have to attempt to knock down cups by swinging their bodies.
Human Checkers is an icebreaker game that requires good communication and strategy to win. In this game, participants have to play checkers, but with themselves as the chess pieces.
Shrinking Island is an icebreaker game that literally fosters togetherness and teamwork in order to achieve the goal of standing on a ‘shrinking’ island. Participants have to attempt to keep afloat on a piece of newspaper as it becomes smaller and smaller.
Ha-ha-ha Game is a game that will be a great ice-breaking game and one requires a lot of focus, concentration and coordination in order to succeed. Participants will literally laugh at themselves through this fun filled physical activity.
Animal Farm is an icebreaker game that is guaranteed to bring out lots of laughter and fun as participants have to mimic animal sounds in order to find one another. It is a simple and fun game that can help participants warm up to one another as they let loose.
Jones is an icebreaker game that gets people blindfolded and then have them communicate with one another with this unique word “Jones”.
Body Water Relay
Body Water Relay is an intense, competitive icebreaker game that requires participants to get physical by using their body parts to transport water with a sponge. Participants might a little wet from the activities but you can be sure you will have an energetic and breathless bunch of participants after the activity!
Hula Hoop Chain
Team Building Ice Breakers: Hula Hoop Chain is an icebreaker game where participants have to attempt to weave a Hoola hoop through a series of connected bodies in the shortest time possible.
Human Value is an icebreaker game where all participants get a value attached to them, and they have to combine with other participants to form a certain dollar value. It’s a fun and exciting game with lots of running around, smiles and laughter.
Captain on Deck
Captain on Deck is an icebreaker game for a big group. It’s a game that requires each participant to form groups according to the captain’s commands and it is bound to create much joy, laughter, and bring the participants closer together.