Title and Description
Ping Pong Knockout is a fun game that guarantees lots of laughter, as a few unlucky participants attempt to knock down cups by swinging their bodies.
8 – 15 people
- Raffia string
- 20 Styrofoam cups
- 2 ping pong balls (table tennis balls) per group
About 15 minutes
- Split the group into two (or three, depending on the number of participants)
- Groups will be will first required to make a two pendulums with the ping pong ball and the raffia string. Note that the string should be about ¾ of a person’s height.
- Next, each group will nominate two participants.
- The other end of the two pendulums should be tied about the neck of the two participants.
- In an open area, 20 Styrofoam cups are placed. 5 of these Styrofoam cups will have smiley faces, while the other 15 will have angry faces.
- The participants should stand on the four corners of the open area.
- Once the game starts, the participants with the pendulum must use their body to swing the pendulum to hit the angry faces. The participants cannot use their hands, but only their bodies to swing the pendulum.
- The other participants are also not allowed to touch the pendulum but they are allowed to give advice/commands to the person attempting to knock it down.
- For every cup with an angry face knocked down, one point will be awarded. For every cup with a happy face knocked down, one point will be deducted.
- The aim is to knock down all the angry faces in the areas in the given time.
- When the game ends, the group with the most points is the winner.
- When you heard the game instructions, who were the first two people you guys thought of? Why?
- (To the pendulum swinging participants) During the game, when things are intense, whose commands did you listen to? Why did you listen to him/her?
- In the end, did you think you executed the strategy well?
- Usually, we choose participants that are able to let themselves loose and just be spontaneous; we instinctively know that they don’t mind making fun of themselves and allow themselves to be the butt of jokes. Such people are a joy to be with, and they bring life and fun to a team as well.
- During intense competition, it is the leader’s voice that we listen to amongst many others, such people naturally command some influence and authority and its usually those voices that we listen to.
List of Leadership Icebreakers
Make a Shape
This game Make a Shape is a game about communication between individuals using different kinds of communication modes all the way from speech to gestures.
Hosts and Guests
Hosts and Guests is a game about taking the initiative. It tests individuals in their ability to take lead in any relationship in a casual or business setting.
Alphabetic Introductions is a simple game you can play for strangers in a room to get acquainted with one another.
Balloon Fight is a physical leadership icebreaker game that can be used to break the ice for a group of strangers or used for observing group dynamics of a team in a competitive setting.
Blow Wind, Blow!
“Blow Wind, Blow!” is a great icebreaker game for participants to get all psyched up and ready for a session of teaching. It helps build the atmosphere of a session and fosters bonding through fun.
Master Architects demonstrate the importance of planning, teamwork, problem solving and it is a great exercise to observe any team’s group dynamics.
Newspaper Hop is a game of teamwork to explain the importance of planning, collaboration and communication in the workplace.
Truth or Lie
Truth or lie is another simple icebreaker that you can play for the participants to get to know each other better with ‘wow’ facts about themselves.
Who am I?
Who Am I is a simple icebreaker that you can play to get the participants to do quick self-introductions with each other. It’s used in groups where participants are generally strangers.
Word scramble’s purpose is to demonstrate the importance of cooperation in the team, and is useful for you to observe you team’s group dynamics as they work together in to solve a problem.
Whacko! is a classic team building game that helps new strangers to get to know each other’s names and also to have a lot of fun at the same time.
Charades is a classic game for participants of all ages, whether you’re 5 or 50, it’s a fun filled game that can engage the players fully and bring them closer together through lots of acting and drama fun!
Money Machine is a interactive group game that requires a lot of moving around with lots of shouts and laughter that will help your team bond or help your participants ice break!
Cat and Mouse
Cat and Mouse is a fast-paced, exciting team bonding game that will bring your participants closer together through lots of laughter, screams and protests as the ‘Cat’ chases the ‘Mouse’!
River Crossing is a competitive fast-paced game of cooperation that requires teamwork, coordination and speed. It is a great leadership icebreaker that will help to cultivate the team dynamics within a group.
Pull the Tail!
Pull the Tail is a free for all frenzy that brings down a lot of chaos, fun and laughter in the crowd! It’s a great physical team bonding exercise that will bring your participants closer together.
Indian Poker is a team building game for new friends to know each other or just for old friends to have a good time together. It is a simple, easy-to-understand game for everyone to have a good time together.
MORE LEADERSHIP ICEBREAKERS
People Bingo is a game that can fosters communication and great for getting a group of new friends to know each other deeper after going through the game.
Name Grid is a game where it fosters communication between the groups in a quick reaction and fast thinking game. This game will take only a short time but will bring out excitement and passion as the participants compete in a fast paced word game.
Line Up is an icebreaking game where everyone has to communicate without speaking and line up in a straight line according to a pre-determined characteristic. It is game that will illustrate the power of communication and at the same time, have a group of new friends have a lot of fun together.
Pass the Objects
Pass the Objects is an icebreaking game where objects have to be passed down a line of people holding spoons with their mouth! It is a game of communication, teamwork and strategy that will be sure to bring out lots of energy and laughter from the participants.
Entangle is an icebreaker where participants’ hands are all entangled up in the center and they have to communicate in an attempt to disentangle themselves.
Toilet Paper Game
Toilet Paper Game is an icebreaking game where participants have to introduce themselves in an innovative way: the more toilet paper they choose to tear off, the more they have to share about themselves.
Words from Strings
Word from Strings is a game that fosters communication, coordination and teamwork within the group to complete the task. Participants have to cooperate by controlling a marker with their strings to write a full word.
Blindfold Maze is a team icebreaker where all participants will be blindfolded and they have to get through an obstacle course with only instructions from one leader. It is a game of communication and trust that will also ensure your participants have a great time together.
Human Scissors Paper Stone
Human Scissors Paper Stone is a fun-filled action packed game where two groups will have to strategize, communicate, and act in order to outsmart their opponents. There is quite a bit of physical activity like making funny actions, chasing your opponents and getting chased by them.
Ping Pong Knockout
Ping Pong Knockout is a fun icebreaker that will guarantee lots of laughter as a few unlucky participants will have to attempt to knock down cups by swinging their bodies.
Human Checkers is an icebreaker game that requires good communication and strategy to win. In this game, participants have to play checkers, but with themselves as the chess pieces.
Shrinking Island is an icebreaker game that literally fosters togetherness and teamwork in order to achieve the goal of standing on a ‘shrinking’ island. Participants have to attempt to keep afloat on a piece of newspaper as it becomes smaller and smaller.
Ha-ha-ha Game is a game that will be a great ice-breaking game and one requires a lot of focus, concentration and coordination in order to succeed. Participants will literally laugh at themselves through this fun filled physical activity.
Animal Farm is an icebreaker game that is guaranteed to bring out lots of laughter and fun as participants have to mimic animal sounds in order to find one another. It is a simple and fun game that can help participants warm up to one another as they let loose.
Jones is an icebreaker game that gets people blindfolded and then have them communicate with one another with this unique word “Jones”.
Body Water Relay
Body Water Relay is an intense, competitive icebreaker game that requires participants to get physical by using their body parts to transport water with a sponge. Participants might a little wet from the activities but you can be sure you will have an energetic and breathless bunch of participants after the activity!
Hula Hoop Chain
Team Building Ice Breakers: Hula Hoop Chain is an icebreaker game where participants have to attempt to weave a Hoola hoop through a series of connected bodies in the shortest time possible.
Human Value is an icebreaker game where all participants get a value attached to them, and they have to combine with other participants to form a certain dollar value. It’s a fun and exciting game with lots of running around, smiles and laughter.
Captain on Deck
Captain on Deck is an icebreaker game for a big group. It’s a game that requires each participant to form groups according to the captain’s commands and it is bound to create much joy, laughter, and bring the participants closer together.