Team Building Activities – Team Evaluation helps every member in the team evaluate himself and how he has been faring in the team; as well as evaluate the team he’s in.
Do note that this team activity is NOT for everyone. It is only meant for teams whose members are willing to be open to criticism and self-evaluation.
- To help participants understand themselves in a team.
- To evaluation and consider methods of improvement for the team.
A close knit team of about 5-7 members is optimal. This exercise requires a lot of in depth sharing and feedback, so usually a small number is preferred.
A Team Member Self-Evaluation Sheet
Pen or Pencil
1.5 hours or more. The evaluation sheet itself will take only 5 – 10 minutes, but the facilitation session after is the one that will be the most productive and take up the most time as well.
1. Explain the purpose of the activity of helping every team member understand themselves and evaluate the team as well. This can be done as a part of an annual review or in response to an extraordinary circumstance.
2. Distribute the Team Member Self-Evaluation Sheet to every participant.
3. Allow them to have about 5-10 minutes to fill up the forms.
4. Give every participant a chance to present what they have written in their sheets. Have them run through it question by question, and why they agree or disagree with particular questions in the Evaluation Sheet. Remind them to be as open and upfront as possible. Allow them to skip questions as it may become draggy if they go through every single question. Also, request for them to take a positive, forward-looking approach to their feedback. Or else, it may end up becoming a complaint session.
5. Do note that you need an environment of openness to effectively do this; you need the participants to be ready to share from the heart. You cannot do this if:
- The participants just met one another.
- The leadership style in the team is autocratic.
- There is mistrust among the team members. (to be differentiated from tension. Some tension is usually catalyze for improvement)
These 3 scenarios will prevent the participants from talking freely and make the discussion fruitful.
6. Repeat the process for every team member, taking down notes and giving breaks where necessary.
- What have you learnt about yourself and your team members through this exercise?
- What do you think you can do to become a better team player? Write it down and share with the rest of the team.
- What do you think the team can do to go to the next level?
More Team Activities
Creating a Team Mission Statement
Before your team can work effectively, you must set the vision for the team so that every individual in the team understands the purpose of coming together. Are they coming together for a common interest, a specific project, or for a long term vision?
Examples of Team Mission Statements
Here are some examples of good mission statements used in the biggest companies in the world. Learn the elements required in a mission statement and how you can draft a good mission statement.
Formulating Great Team Mottos
A team motto captures the values of a team in a few words or a phrase. Learn about some simple team mottos and how you can create a great team motto for your team.
Setting the Stage for Teamwork
Before you send your team off to do their task, you must set the context and the foundation so that your team will succeed. You need to set expectations, make certain rules within the team and more.
The Barriers to Team Success
There are several barriers to building a successful team. Learn about the pitfalls in teambuilding and how you can avoid them.
Characteristics of Good Teams
Every good team has similar characteristics. Learn six invaluable characteristics that are required to groom an effective, successful team.
Why Doesn’t My Team Speak Up?
Getting your team to speak up is probably one of the greatest challenges you will have as a leader. You need to move your team’s mindset from the traditional top-down decision making process into the new paradigm.
Generating a Cool Team Name
Creative, Clever and Cool Team Name is an article about choosing the right name for your team. It also provides you with a random team name generator that you can use to brainstorm for ideas!