Should You Convert To A Team Structure?
With all the hype about building teams, it seems like a team structure within an organization is the way to go for ALL organizations. But should your organization convert to a team structure?
Not necessarily. Traditional structures with different department serving different functions have been effective in the past and present for a key reason: it works.
Team structures, however, are extremely useful in certain organizations and situations that are facing unusual circumstances or challenges. The mixture of a team’s personalities, strength and abilities may be what is required to face the challenges.
So how do you know if you should convert your organization into a team based structure? Here are some basic checklists:
You should convert to teams if:
- Your organization needs a new approach to the challenges it is currently facing. The old approach does not work anymore and you need a diversity of views about how your organization can change its approach.
- Within the traditional work group which are classified by departments, there is a lot of conflict due to miscommunication and arguments. Putting a key representative from each department to work in a group to achieve a corporate goal may help bridge the divide.
- The project requires people with different disciplines, backgrounds and abilities. The diversity of the individuals will add synergy and enhanced value to the project.
- The top management is committed to see change within the organization in this direction. Putting in task force with a diverse and committed team will push the organization in the proper direction.
On the other hand, you should not convert if:
- When the nature of the work in your organization is routine and do not need team support. If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.
- Sometimes, top management is against the idea of teams because they believe it to be counter-productive. In such a case, it is unlikely that any team will be used to their fullest potential.
- When there is high turnover in the company; for a team to be truly effective, it takes time for teams to develop unity and good dynamics and if there are a lot of people leaving the company, then the teams formed cannot be stable.
Of course, changing a whole organizational structure from traditional to teams is a big project and is something that should not be taken lightly. If you believe that changing to a team structure is optimal for your business, please contact professional consultants for advice and guidance.
Return from Building Teams to Team Building Techniques
More Articles on Building Teams
Creating a Team Mission Statement
Before your team can work effectively, you must set the vision for the team so that every individual in the team understands the purpose of coming together. Are they coming together for a common interest, a specific project, or for a long term vision?
Examples of Team Mission Statements
Here are some examples of good mission statements used in the biggest companies in the world. Learn the elements required in a mission statement and how you can draft a good mission statement.
Formulating Great Team Mottos
A team motto captures the values of a team in a few words or a phrase. Learn about some simple team mottos and how you can create a great team motto for your team.
Setting the Stage for Teamwork
Before you send your team off to do their task, you must set the context and the foundation so that your team will succeed. You need to set expectations, make certain rules within the team and more.
The Barriers to Team Success
There are several barriers to building a successful team. Learn about the pitfalls in teambuilding and how you can avoid them.
Characteristics of Good Teams
Every good team has similar characteristics. Learn six invaluable characteristics that are required to groom an effective, successful team.
Why Doesn’t My Team Speak Up?
Getting your team to speak up is probably one of the greatest challenges you will have as a leader. You need to move your team’s mindset from the traditional top-down decision making process into the new paradigm.
Generating a Cool Team Name
Creative, Clever and Cool Team Name is an article about choosing the right name for your team. It also provides you with a random team name generator that you can use to brainstorm for ideas!